Thursday, August 16, 2007

That's funny, I don't FEEL old!

Hilarious.

It feels strange to be back in college, and classes haven't even started yet.
AB-Tech held it's first-time students orientation tonight and frankly I envisioned a little more that it turned out to be. I really should start lowering my standards and stop expecting anything. Then maybe I could see why every movie in America has to feature a standard fart joke in their trailer. What did I really expect from a community college anyway? I guess I was spoiled on a four-year university back in Florida where the students were already pretentious, nerdy, and anxious.
So far, it appears that AB-Tech has about three different types of students attending this semester as fresh meat. One is the overachiever, which I thought would be typical in a college setting. However, that isn't the case. There were a couple of overweight, hair-too-long, math t-shirt guys sitting in the section I chose that were so nerdy even I wanted to give them a swirly. Definitely not in the majority though. Thank goodness?
The second type would be the ditzy (and I'm assuming fresh out of high school) girls and the guys that hang around them drooling over which one to hit on first. I heard all sorts of babbling including, yes, "Ohmigod. I can't believe she said that! I almost died!"
The last bunch seems to be the overwhelming population and those are the kids that hopefully will reach their full potential by not showing up to class and flunking out by next month.
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but when I first entered the auditorium and thus starting my life in college anew, someone had taken it upon themselves to broadcast Afro Man's "'Cause I Got High" over their iPod, or cell phone, or whatever.
Ha ha. Oh you rambunctious little scamps. How charming. I'm sure the mothers that had to bring their young children to the orientation with them really appreciated them hearing the "P" word.
And just in case you didn't notice, no one laughed except for your friends. I hope out of embarrassment.
I felt like the oldest person there, which is pathetic because I'm just barely under 23 years of age. This feeling became clear when no one in the room could keep it together when the speaker mentioned the word "beer". I felt even older when the 18 year old frizzy-haired elf who just got his GED started hitting on me, complimenting everything from the type of gum I had to the school-issued class schedule I was holding. I'm gonna start wearing a ring to classes.
At least it will be easy to concentrate on my schoolwork.
Sometimes the world seems to far removed from reality. Maybe I'm just bitter about not being one of the ditzy girls anymore.




2 comments:

Edward said...

I've found that you get out of it what you put into it at the community colleges. I'm graduate of 2, including ABTech, and work at a third one. When I went to abtech for the geeky stuff I now make a living at, I did get a few instructors that were kind of duds. They have such trouble getting qualified people to teach when they can make so much more working... The few liberal arts classes I took there were really pretty good instructors.

The first CC I went to was great, and I think I got more out of it than the 4 yr college I went on to.

I found a real richness in the diverse population in the classes, with older folks who had been around adding some different perspective to lots of topics. I hope you get some of those and not all horny elves and ditzy grrls. ; )

Bullet said...

actually now that I've started classes I find that everyone is really decent and cool. I guess I just got the lame crowd at orientation!