Monday, September 24, 2007

Perfect Rice

I posted a little recipe yesterday for some really cheap food. Rice is another really cheap food. I love rice, and not just because it's cheap. I eat rice almost every day as my main starch. I think the reason for this is because I know how to make perfect rice. But why keep the recipe to myself? Here is the recipe for 1 cup of Perfect Rice:
(Please note that I never measure anything, except water and rice, so adjust for your own tastes)

Put 1 C. water into a small saucepan on the stove.
Add...
About a tablespoon of butter/margarine/EarthBalance/whatever
A bullion cube. (You can use any kind, but the BEST flavor comes from the small cubes of vegetable bullion made by Maggi. It comes in a yellow cube-shaped box. Kind of hard to find but worth it!!)
A dash or two of turmeric
A healthy dose of Mexican Chili Powder
A tsp. of chopped garlic (you can use the kind in a jar)

Optional:

A handful of diced tomato (very yum!)
A dash of cumin
Some cayenne pepper
Parsley

Bring to a boil, add 1/2 C. rice, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed.

It's really good with fish, but I usually eat it by itself. If you just want plain white rice, make sure you add the butter. That is the secret to making good rice! :-)

No comments: